National Survey of Energy Balance-related Care among Primary Care Physicians
This survey, one of several physician surveys conducted by the Applied Research Program, is designed to obtain current, nationally representative data on primary care physicians' (PCPs') characteristics, knowledge, attitudes, and practices related to services for diet, physical activity, and weight control. The goal is to develop a national baseline on the use of energy balance risk assessment, counseling and referral services in physician practice and to identify the characteristics of physicians who routinely incorporate these activities in patient care.
PCPs surveyed consist of those who treat both adults and children, including internists, family physicians, obstetricians/gynecologists, and pediatricians. The survey will support and further goals to monitor and evaluate providers' cancer control knowledge, attitudes, and practices and their impact on population health.
ORB staff is leading this effort with collaborators across the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences. In addition, NCI is collaborating with the following six institutes/agencies across the Department of Health and Human Services to develop the survey.
- The Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR);
- The National Institute of Child Health and Development (NICHD);
- The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK);
- The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI);
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); and
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
The project is co-funded by NIDDK, NICHD, OBSSR, and CDC. NCI fielded the survey instruments in 2008. Data from the survey will be used to profile existing physician practice, understand barriers to counseling and referral, and inform the planning and design of new initiatives to spread the use of these services more widely within the physician community.
Publications are available. Additional manuscripts are in development and are forthcoming.
Physician Practices Questionnaires
- Adult Questionnaire: This questionnaire specifically addresses knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of energy-balance-related care in physicians who treat adults.
- Child Questionnaire: This questionnaire specifically addresses knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of energy-balance-related care in physicians who treat children.
Last Updated: 05 Jan 2016