SEER-Medicaid: Proposal Review Process
Representatives from the NCI and SEER will be responsible for reviewing each proposal. The review and approval process can take 6-8 weeks from receipt of proposals.
If the reviewing agencies have concerns about confidentiality arising from the project, investigators may revise their proposal. However, if there are ongoing concerns about confidentiality, SEER-Medicaid data will not be released, regardless of whether an investigator has already been funded by another agency or organization to conduct an analysis using the data. Therefore, investigators planning to use the SEER-Medicaid data as part of a grant are encouraged to obtain approval for release of the data before submitting their grant proposal.
Criteria for Approving Requests
NCI encourages outside investigators to use SEER-Medicaid data. Requests for these data will be approved unless one of the following conditions occurs:
- The proposed research involves data that may compromise the privacy or confidentiality of patients, providers, or institutions.
- The central purpose of the study is not cancer research.
- The research question is not sufficiently detailed to determine if the proposed analysis is feasible.
- The SEER-Medicaid data are not of sufficient quality or completeness to provide accurate data to address a specific research question or aim.
- The data processing necessary to produce the requested files places an unusually heavy burden on data processing staff.